Moving House is Sadomasochistic

All I can say is WOW. Hubby and I just moved house over the weekend. My muscles are screaming at me in 17 languages. Still.

Do you remember being young? Do you remember being able to move house on a Friday and Saturday, unpack everything on Sunday, and then still have the energy and fitness to go out dancing on that Sunday evening? I used to be able to do this. I also remember my dad telling me that one day it would all change. I would find myself feeling 25 years old but being, well, far older than that and less capable. I laughed at him. I scoffed. Me? Less capable of lifting 45 boxes of books and four rooms full of furniture? HA! “Okay, dad. Whatever you say,” I used to utter to him with a smile.

Well, my dad is vindicated. The day has come. I can no longer: (A.) Fit almost everything I own into the back of a 1978 Honda Accord. (B.) Move all my crap in two days. (C.) Live to tell about it. I am now dead. Dead, I say! My fingers refuse to type the correct letters. My arms are so sore I can barely lift them, not to mention my once sturdy German thighs that used to love me are now flipping me the bird, figuratively-speaking.

My hubby and I joke about being rich enough to “pay people to move us”, but we know that we are waaaay too control-freaky to ever do this (even if we had the money to do it) and we move way too often. We would go broke. We have moved five times in five years. Seriously! We are not running from the law or our creditors. We’ve had to follow various technical writing contracts to keep the funds coming in during these horrendous economic times. We’ve done what others are often unwilling to do in order to keep working, keep the money coming in, and keep paying “The Man”. And, we have, largely, kept working through it all, but it’s been so, so painful on so many levels.

This time, we moved to a house that we scooped up for a deal and rehabbed over the last two months. We can save some bucks on the ol’ monthly payments by living over here and renting out the house that we were in for the last two years. Moving is sadomasochistic. Plain and simple. It’s akin to cramming seven days of working out into two. I’m so glad it’s over. Now, all we have to do is dig out from the mounds of boxes all over the place, but frankly, if that takes the next year, I’m fine with it. Seriously. Let it sit there. I don’t care if I look like a hoarder. It stays where I dumped it. LOL!

Advertisements

30 thoughts on “Moving House is Sadomasochistic

1. colemining

Aaaaargh! I’m about to do that myself- this very weekend. How well you describe the sadomasochism. I am surrounded by boxes and about to lose it completely. Glad you made it through!

1. BigLizzy Post author

Oh, sweetie. I am soooooo feeling your pain, literally. Sending you moving angels to help you with the tasks at hand. I hope it goes well for you and fast. Make it happen fast before you run out of steam. LOL! Hugs and kisses!

2. mariner2mother

I can’t even stomach the thought of moving all of the crap we have! Thank goodness it’s not likely to happen any time soon. I feel for ya! Unpack as you can. Don’t stress about it. And in the meantime, treat your body to a nice soak or a hot shower, and a massage. If you can find a person who is a massage practitioner who also does Reiki, this is a great combo!

1. BigLizzy Post author

Susan-babe, Thank you so much for the empathy and kind comments here, honey. YES! A nice, long soak will fix me up. Great ideas here! Moving is just wrong. But, I’m happy to be in a new space and fixing it up. I love the whole nesting thing, so this is not all that bad. The worst is done and now I can repair my poor sore body and decorate. Love you, sis. Thanks for reading my rant. LOL!

1. BigLizzy Post author

LOL! That’s so funny. I didn’t know that my body knew that many languages or that there were so many ways to say “Sod off” as my British friend, Pete always says. LOL! Thanks for reading and commenting, P-dawg. I love ya, sis!

1. persephone2013

I’m just now writing another piece. My inner beeoch is really coming out. Working on healing! And some skills I just learned in clairvoyance class are really coming in handy.

2. BigLizzy Post author

Hoh-ma-Gosh, P-dawg, I’m so sooooo interested in hearing about your class! I’ve totally been thinking about you. You ready to write a guest post for me on your experience with clairvoyance? Would love to explore that with you, honey. XOXO

3. BigLizzy Post author

Hhahahahahaha! Sooo glad. I always take chances with nicknames and sometimes people dislike my choices. I love you, mommy. Seriously. You are the kewlest!

3. Fresh Ginger

I so completely understand. We moved this past April and it was the worst. I miss/don’t miss the days of being to move everything I own with a VW Golf. And, then … there’s the cleaning! No, thank you.

1. BigLizzy Post author

Fresh Ginger, Right?! OH. EM. GEE. I so get it, my Ginger-girl. I didn’t even think about the cleaning, but yeah, we’ve been doin’ tons of that, too. Face-palm moment! Thanks for reading and sending your empathy, honey. Big, warm hugs to you!

4. Melanie

I feel your pain. I managed to avoid moving this year, but it’s the first re-signed lease in eight plus years. Yikes!

1. BigLizzy Post author

Melanie-honey! Thank you so much for the empathy, sis. Everyone can relate to this post, for sure. Goood for you that re-signed that lease. It’s a good sign! Thanks for reading and commenting, my sweet friend. XOXO

5. sueannporter1

On my last few moves, we have paid people to move us. I’m too old. But I do remember the good ole days, when I could haul boxes with the best of them. My glory days are over but at least I had them.
    We thought we would be moving again this year, so I threw out almost anything that wasn’t nailed down. Now we are staying, and I can’t find my cook books.
    I hope you feel better soon!

1. BigLizzy Post author

Oh, Sue! I so relate to you paying people to move you guys. We are almost there ourselves. As for us, we’ve liked all of our houses, but we have never really found one that we walk in and say “We can live here until we die”. For us, it will probably be a case of: “This is fine until we die because we are too old to move anymore.” Not your cookbooks! Nooooo! That’s no fun. But, most cookbooks can be replaced. Our bodies cannot. Thanks for reading and commenting, sweetie. Hugs!

6. helesetalks

I can’t stand moving. I’ve moved to about 7 places in 10 years. Often times it’s been with just throwing my crap in a cab. More on that in the book…but yes. I partied 5 days straight in college and still went to 8 am philosophy class and to this day I’ve never been able to do that again.

I’m happy about turning 29 in December though. I’m happy I’m leaving my 20’s behind but I’m still sure I’ll cry.

1. BigLizzy Post author

Helese,

You sound like me, sis! We are Gypsies, I think. I’d like to take a chill-pill on all the moving. Craig and I have moved like 23 times in 19 years and some of them across several states. It’s insane. Of course, much of the moving is tied to the work we do, but still. It’s so exhausting.

Yay! You are leaving your 20s and have your head on right. What an accomplishment, honey. You go!

My daughter is a December baby, too. So, let me the first to wish you a very, very Happy Birthday, sis! Hugs and kisses to you.

7. cristinasandru

Hi, good luck and enjoy the new house, have a relaxing time after working so hard! 🙂
    Have a good day! ;0

1. cristinasandru

Thank you very much for your kind words, my dear friend!Have a lovely evening! 🙂

8. MELewis

How very true! We moved several times in recent years (including one transatlantic move with our entire lives in a container) and I swore up and down never again. The last time we moved we had the help of movers and I still felt like death. Just the trips up and down the stairs with boxes did me in. Kudos to you for having the courage to do it again for all the right reasons. Bises!

1. BigLizzy Post author

Oh, MELewis, mon ami! That is even harder to do. We thought moving from CA to CO in 2009 was hard! No, International moving takes the cake. It’s all difficult, but it does add to our characters, eh? Thanks for reading and commenting, honey.

9. melanie

@” We have moved five times in five years. Seriously!” – I do believe you, honey… 🙂 try to imagine, please, our 2 intercontinental movings in 5 years… THE nightmare! 🙂 But we did make it! 🙂 je t’embrasse amicalement et à+! Mélanie

1. BigLizzy Post author

Melanie!

Ha! You’re now starting to sound like me and my Husband, ma soeur. Seriously, in 19 years of marriage, we have moved well over 20 times, but never internationally. And, like I told my friend, MELewis who blogs at http://francesays.com/ (by the way, you two should meet!), International moving is sooooo much harder than domestic. I feel for you guys! je t’embrasse vous aussi, mon ami! XOXO